If you’re going camping with the family or a group of friends, purchasing one big tent instead of smaller individual tents makes sense.
You can save money if you’re on a budget while also ensuring that the 4-man tent you purchase has all the right features you need.
What should you look for in a 4-man tent?
While durability is obviously important, you want comfort and convenience, as well as a tent that’s resistant to harsh conditions.
The best 4-man tent to buy on a budget is the Hui Lingyang pop-up tent. Not only is it easy to install but it’s spacious, waterproof, and well-ventilated, with some nice extra features too. Let’s check it out, along with four alternatives.
- HUI LINGYANG 4 Person Easy Pop Up Tent: Best 4-Man Pop Up Tent
- MOON LENCE Pop Up Tent Family Camping Tent: Best 4-Man Instant Tent
- Coleman Dome Tent with Screen Room: Best 4-Man Tent With Porch
- ayamaya Pop Up Tents with Vestibule for 4 to 6 Person: Best 4-Man Dome Tent
- Kelty Late Start 1 Person – 3 Season Backpacking Tent: Best 4-Man Backpacking Tent
Best 4-Man Pop Up Tent: HUI LINGYANG 4 Person Easy Pop Up Tent
- Type: Pop-up tent
- Size: 114 x 79.2 x 51.6 inches (2.89m x 2.0m x 1.31)
- Weight: 7.94 pounds (3.6 kg)
- I don’t like having to spend lots of time trying to set up a tent when I’ve reached my camping destination, which is why I love this Hui Lingyang pop-up tent. It guarantees fast and easy setup because it comes with pre-assembled poles.
- It’s very spacious, so you can definitely use it for yourself and three friends. Its floor is 9.5 by 6.6 feet (289 cm x 201 cm). Its central height is 52 inches (132 cm), so there’ll be more than enough space to sleep and sit in the tent.
- This four-man tent is versatile for use in different weather conditions, which is really something important to look for when choosing a pop-up tent. You can close the outer fabric layer of the tent if the weather dips, and then roll it up and keep it out of the way with buckles if the sun comes back out, giving you much more versatility and ensuring you can enjoy the beautiful weather from inside your tent.
- One of the most important things to ensure when you’re camping in a tent is that it has enough ventilation, and this one doesn’t disappoint. It has four mesh windows as well as two doors that ensure better airflow through the tent without putting you at risk of getting eaten alive by bugs.
- It’s been built with a taped seam and waterproof fabric to ensure you won’t have the unpleasant surprise of being woken up by rain that’s getting inside the tent.
- It’s a tent that’s quite difficult to fold up and put back into your carry bag.
- The instructions that come with the pop-up tent are not very helpful.
- With more people in the tent, you’ll surely have a need for some extra storage. This tent has a lantern hook as well as storage pockets that are sufficient for storing your valuables and preventing clutter in your tent, which is perfect for those longer camping trips with the family, especially if you have kids.
This is the best 4-man tent that you can get and enjoy on a budget. It’s sure to give you and your friends a fantastic camping experience, thanks to how it’s built with extra features to make using it much more comfortable and convenient.
Best 4-Man Instant Tent: MOON LENCE Pop Up Family Camping Tent
- Type: Pop-up tent
- Size: 94.5 x 82.6 x 49.2 inches (2.4 x 2.0 x 1.07 m)
- Weight: 10.8 pounds
- This tent is all about offering you greater comfort and space. Its unfolded size is 94.5 x 82.6 x 49.2 inches (2.4 x 2.0 x 1.07 m) so four adults will be able to sleep in it with ease.
- It’s built to be well-ventilated, even if four people are inside it at the same time. This is thanks to how it has two ground vents as well as two large doors.
- While some 4-man tents don’t have enough resistance to the elements, such as the wind, this one does because it’s designed with 10 light-alloy pegs and 4 guy ropes. This makes it more secure no matter what the weather’s like during your camping trip. In addition, it’s made out of 210D Oxford Ground Sheet and 190T PU material for greater water and UV resistance.
- Now, you might be wondering if it’s easy to set up and install. Thanks to its pop-up mechanism, this instant tent can be set up within a minute or less.
- The instructions on how to disassemble the pop-up tent are not that great.
- If storage is important to you, you won’t like that this tent only has one pocket for storing items such as headlamps and keys.
- If you’re looking for a 4-man tent that you can install in any terrain because you’re regularly going on unique camping holidays, this one is worth purchasing because it’s the most versatile tent. Its pegs can be used to ground the tent in beach sand, so it’s suitable for a variety of camping terrain.
This 4-man waterproof tent is easy to install, will protect you against harsh weather conditions, and it also comes with a carry bag for easier storage. But honestly, what more do you need?
Best 4-Man Tent With Porch: Coleman Dome Tent with Screen Room
- Type: Dome tent
- Size: 28 x 10.25 x 9 inches
- Weight: 20.9 pounds
- This 4-man tent comes with a screen room so it offers the most spaciousness out of all the tents we’ve already reviewed in this buying guide. Inside the tent, you can easily fit two queen-sized air beds without a hassle. The screen room is 10 by 5 feet in size, so it’s more than enough space to pull up some chairs and enjoy a meal together.
- The tent is made out of strong polyester taffeta 75D and it’s got both inverted seams and welded corners so that moisture won’t be able to leak into your tent. For extra protection, it also comes with a rainfly included.
- One of the things I love most about this tent is that it’s got smart window awnings that allow you to keep the windows open to increase ventilation in the tent without being too open that they let the rain come pouring in. It’s perfect for watching the rain come down but not risking the inside of your tent getting wet!
- You always need a bit of extra storage space in your tent for valuables and necessities, and I love that the storage pockets in this tent are made out of mesh. They’re conveniently sewn right into the side of the tent walls so that they’re within easy reach without getting in anyone’s way or causing tent clutter.
- It does take a bit more time to pitch this tent than others we’ve featured. You’re looking at approximately 15 minutes to install it. Although, that’s not so bad if you have three other people to help out!
- While the main area of the tent is waterproof, the screen room is not. So, you can’t really store items there unless you’re prepared to let them get wet and damaged.
- This tent comes with a convenient carry bag to make it portable and easy to transport.
Having more people in a tent together can cause some issues related to space, which is why you want to find a camping tent that’s as spacious as possible.
This roomy tent and screen room offers a more comfortable camping experience and costs $199.99. It’s a cheap 4-man tent in the long run that gives you lots of features, such as excellent storage space.
Best 4-Man Dome Tent: ayamaya Pop Up Tents with Vestibule for 4 to 6 Person
- Type: Dome tent
- Size: 150 x 102 x 53.5 inches
- Weight: 14.599 pounds
- This dome tent has a pop-up design with a spacious interior – you’re looking at a 12.5 by 8.5 foot (381 x 259 cm) floor, so it can easily accommodate five to six adults. If you camp with fewer people, you’ll have tons more storage at your disposal, which is a nice touch.
- What I love about this dome tent is that it has a vestibule design. This means that you will be able to enjoy separate storage space for items, such as your camping or hiking gear, therefore keeping it out of the living area of the tent.
- This is the best 4-man dome tent when it comes to its extra features because it has an electrical cord access port. This means you can use a power cord to charge your devices in your tent. It’s ideal for long camping trips when you need electricity (or for your friend who’s addicted to their smartphone).
- Waterproofing is made easy with this tent, thanks to its double-layer design. It has an inner and outer layer that are connected by hooks. The gap between these layers improves the air circulation inside the tent. On the topic of ventilation, this 4-man tent also has four windows and two doors.
- If privacy is a concern for you, you’ll be pleased to know that you can zip up the nylon door completely to boost your privacy. You can roll the door up or down, depending on how much ventilation and privacy you want, which is a bonus.
- This tent doesn’t come with a rainfly, so you might have to purchase that separately.
- It’s a difficult tent to uninstall and then try to put back into the carry bag.
- While it might have some issues when it comes to packing it away, this tent is easy to set up, thanks to how it comes with pre-assembled poles that just snap into place.
This is the best 4-man dome tent on the market. It’s roomy, easy to install, and has a smart way of providing you with greater ventilation as well as privacy.
It’s the perfect tent to purchase if you’re on a budget but want a tent that gives you top-notch features.
Best 4-Man Backpacking Tent: Kelty Late Start 3 Season Backpacking Tent
- Type: 3-season tent
- Size: 99 x 81 x 81 inches (251 x 205 x 205 cm)
- Weight: 7.4 pounds
- This backpacking tent comes in at 99 x 81 inches (251 x 205 cm), so you have an interior section that’s around 55 square feet. That’s pretty big and definitely enough space for four adults.
- It comes with two aluminum poles that are pre-bent. That means you can make use of even more space inside the tent.
- Unlike the previous product we featured in our buying guide, this tent comes with a waterproof rainfly. On the topic of keeping water out of the tent, the floor is made out of tough denier fabric that is water resistant up to levels of 1800mm.
- As we’ve seen with other 4-man tents on the market, sometimes it’s not easy to pack them away in their carry bags. This tent prevents that frustrating issue from occurring by providing you with a Kelty’s Shark Mouth stuff sack to make it easier than ever to quickly pack your tent when you want to go back home or head on to a new camping adventure.
- This tent has only one door. If you’re camping with three other people, this can make it feel a bit cramped. Having two doors in a tent is definitely important to make the tent much more convenient and it can even make it safer because it gives you more exit points.
- This tent is a bit heavy and bulky for use when backpacking. This can be problematic because you might want a tent that’s as small and light as possible for when you’re on the move.
- If you’ve ever had to pitch a tent, you’ll know that it sometimes can be frustrating. This tent comes with pockets at every corner so that one end of the pole is kept in place while you set it up. This makes it beginner-friendly for anyone to use.
This 4-man 3-season tent is currently unavailable for purchase from Amazon and the official Kelty website. You’ll have to keep checking to see when it’s back in stock!
Best 4-Man Tent FAQ
Now that you’ve read through our buying guide of the best 4-man tent, you might still have some questions related to these types of tents. Let’s check them out.
How big is a 4 man tent?
You might be wondering if you really need a 4-man tent and if it will provide you and your camping companions with enough space.
Generally, a 4-man tent is approximately 94.4 inches by 86.6 inches.
This is said to be enough space for four people to comfortably sleep inside the tent. However, you can find smaller 4-man tents but the key is to look at their floor space.
For example, the Hui Lingyang pop-up tent on our list has 9.5 by 6.6-foot floor space and it also has a center height of 52 inches to provide campers with more space.
What is the easiest 4-man tent to put up?
As we’ve seen in our buying guide of the best 4-man tents on the market, many of them aim to make installation as easy as possible.
This is usually achieved with the use of pre-assembled poles, such as in the case of the Hui Lingyang pop-up tent. The Kelty Late Start tent also provides a feature that makes it easy to set up – it has pockets in the corners that keep the poles in place while you set it up.
Generally speaking, pop-up tents are by nature much easier to assemble and pitch than other types of tents. They are built in a way to make installation quick and easy, which is why they’re so ideal for beginner campers or people who are attending festivals.
Does a 4 man tent actually fit 4 people?
Generally, a 4-man tent will be enough to accommodate four people, but the floor space is important. Most of these tent types will have a floor space that’s between 55 square feet and 65 square feet.
This can give you enough space if you’re two adults traveling with two kids. That said, you should always try to find bigger floor space as this will increase your comfort during your camping trip. Another way to make the tent more spacious is to choose a tent that comes with a screen room attached.
What is the difference between tent types?
In this buying guide, we’ve seen a range of different tents, such as pop-up tents and dome tents. Let’s take a look at some of the most common types of tents and what they’re about.
These are common tents that contain two poles which cross at the top of the tent’s dome and bend so that they can be fixed to the floor at the corners. Many of these tents come with small screen rooms attached to them to give you more space, such as the Coleman dome tent on our list of reviews.
- Pop-up tent
The pop-up tent is really easy to assemble (hence its name), but it’s a bit limited when it comes to how much bad weather it can handle. If you don’t camp that regularly and you want a cheap, easy solution, then pop-up tents are a good choice.
This type of tent looks a bit like a cabin because it’s divided into rooms with internal dividers. This makes it ideal for camping with a small group of people as it encourages privacy and storage space.
A geodesic tent is basically a dome tent but it has more poles in its design. This means that it creates much more stability, which makes the geodesic tent a solid choice for when you’re camping in really harsh conditions because it will be more resistant to the elements, such as wind.
- Backpacking tent
This tent has to be built to be resistant to harsh weather, while it should also be lightweight so that you can easily carry it around in your backpack. You can check our article for heavy rain tents if you are looking for the ones that are strong enough for harsh weather. Backpacking tents are usually designed in a tunnel or geodesic shape.
The above are some of the most common tents you can find on the market. There are others, such as specialist tents (canopy, beach, and rooftop tents, for example), as well as tents that are more suited to luxury camping.
Purchasing a 4-man tent doesn’t have to be expensive or difficult. The best one to buy is the Hui Lingyang 4-man tent because it doesn’t weigh a lot, it comes with features that make it easy to assemble, it’s spacious and provides adequate ventilation.
A close contender is the Moon Lence pop-up tent that also provides great ventilation while being able to accommodate a variety of camping terrain.
However, what sets the Hui Lingyang apart is that it has much more storage space, which is always essential when camping and is especially important when you’re traveling with more than one person.