If you have someone in your life who loves hiking and taking part in outdoor activities, you’re in luck.
There are lots of options for buying them the perfect gift, whether for Christmas or their birthday, that they will actually be able to use on their next adventure in the great outdoors.
What are the best gifts for hikers? There are tons of gifts hikers will love, from UV-blocking sunnies to backpacks, and even shirts. It’s all about choosing the most practical and useful gifts.
If you’re not sure what to purchase your loved ones, don’t worry because we’ve got you covered with the best gift ideas for hikers in a variety of categories.
We’ll start with GPS watches – with the best one being made by a brand people love, and for good reason. This Garmin Instinct rugged outdoor watch does a lot more than simply tell the time – it has tons of features every serious hiker will appreciate.
- Garmin Instinct Outdoor Watch with GPS: Best GPS Watch For Hiking, Winner
- Suunto Core All Black Military Men’s Outdoor Sports Watch : Best Compass Watch For Hiking
- COSTIN Multifunctional Compass: Best Hiking Compass
- TurnOnSport Orienteering Compass: Best Hiking Compass, Runner Up
- FENGDONG Waterproof Lightweight Hiking Backpack: Best Budget Hiking Backpack
- Loowoko Hiking Backpack Backpack with Rain Cover: Best Hiking Backpack, Runner Up
- Legendary Whitetails Men’s Buck Camp Flannel Shirt: Best Hiking Shirt, Winner
- BALEAF Women’s Long Sleeve UV Shirts Quick Dry Running Workout Shirts: Best Hiking Shirt, Runner Up
- Oakley Holbrook OO9102 Sunglasses For Men For Women: Best Hiking Sunglasses, Winner
- Oakley Men’s Oo9416 Split Shot Sunglasses: Best Hiking Sunglasses, Runner Up
Best GPS Watch For Hiking, Winner: Garmin Instinct Outdoor Watch with GPS
- Type: GPS
- Size: 1.8 x 0.6 x 1.8 inches (4.5 x 1.5 x 4.5 cm)
- Weight: 1.76 oz (49.89 g)
- Related Feature: 16-hr battery life
- If you’ve ever got lost during a hike in a remote location as I have, you’ll know how valuable it is to have a GPS watch with long battery life. This Garmin watch offers up to 16 hours of battery life when the watch is in GPS mode.
- It’s been constructed out of U.S. military standard 810G that makes it resistant to shock, water, and thermal conditions. This is perfect for the loved one who always enjoys going off the beaten path for a new adventure.
- It comes with a variety of extra features, such as heart rate, stress, and activity monitoring, so your loved one will be able to use it all the time.
- The watch’s menu is a bit clumsy and difficult to navigate.
- It takes a long time to charge the watch.
- The strap is made out of silicone, which is not only durable but also resistant to both low and high temperatures.
- It has a trackback feature. This enables you to find your way along the same route you took so that you can go back to your starting point.
This Garmin GPS watch will keep your loved ones safe, whether they’re skiing in the backcountry or navigating a remote mountain trail, and that makes it the best hiking watch. It comes in 21 different colors so you’re sure to find one that matches your loved one’s style and personality in the best way.
Best Compass Watch For Hiking: Suunto Core All Black Military Men’s Outdoor Sports Watch
- Type: Compass
- Size: 1.93 x 0.57 x 1.93 inches (4 x 1.4 x 4 cm)
- Weight: 2.26 oz (64 g)
- Related Feature: Weather tracker
- If you know your loved one would prefer a compass watch instead of a GPS one, then this one will make the perfect gift. It has an altimeter that tracks vertical movement, a compass to help one to navigate terrain, and a barometer that shows the air pressure trends.
- This watch has a variety of excellent features for the committed trailblazer: you can track the weather, so you can track storms. This will keep them safe. It even has a smart storm alarm that can alert you to drops in air pressure and storms that are headed your way.
- The altimeter also has some useful features: you’ll be able to show your descent and ascent, as well as record your session. This is perfect for the hiker who sets him/herself goals to achieve.
- The mode button on the watch can be pressed accidentally if you wear the watch on your left hand as it can be activated by leaning your hand back.
- The watch straps are not durable, as some people who have purchased the watch have reported that they crack and break easily.
- This watch has a battery life of about 14 days before it needs to be charged.
This compass watch has a ton of great features that your hiking loved one will enjoy. It’s so great you’ll probably want to buy one for yourself.
Best Hiking Compass: COSTIN Multifunctional Compass
- Type: Multifunctional
- Size: 4.3 x 3 x 2 inches (10 x 7 x 5 cm)
- Weight: 6.38 oz (180 g)
- Related Feature: Luminous magnet arrow
- Even if you don’t have a lot of money to spend on a hiking watch for your loved one, that doesn’t mean you can’t purchase a compass for them. This one by Costin is much cheaper than the previous products on our list but it comes with excellent, useful features they’ll love. For starters, it’s got a compass that’s made with engineering-grade metal to keep it durable.
- It’s got a luminous magnet arrow and compass card – this ensures that you can read the compass even in poor visibility conditions.
- It is a military-style compass that comes in a compact metal case so it’s the perfect grab-and-go item. It also has a foldable metal lid.
- It has a plastic bottom.
- People who have purchased this compass have said that its needle sometimes gets stuck.
- It comes with a pouch and lanyard to make it even more portable.
- It’s IP 54 waterproof grade so you don’t have to worry about getting stuck in rainy conditions that will wreck it.
If your loved one regularly goes off the beaten path, this hiking compass is a great gift idea to keep them safe and save them time.
Best Hiking Compass, Runner Up: TurnOnSport Orienteering Compass
- Type: Orienteering
- Size: 5.2 x 3.1 x 0.6 inches (13 x 7 x 1.52 cm)
- Weight: 0.10 pounds (45 g)
- Related feature: Waterproof
- This compass is made well. It has an acrylic baseplate, compass ruler, magnifying glass, and real compass oil. It’s lightweight and durable, and that’s what makes it one of the best hiking compasses for kids.
- It’s waterproof so it will be durable in some harsh conditions, which makes it perfect for the outdoorsy person.
- It’s really easy to use. Simply place it on a map when planning your next hiking or camping trip and it can be used to show you where to go!
- This is pretty basic and won’t give you advanced compass features. It’s therefore the ideal starter compass for kids who love the outdoors and hiking.
- Since the magnifier can be used to start a fire, this can be great for kids who are learning outdoor survival skills, thus making this the best compass for versatility and activities such as hiking.
This compass costs is one of the best cheap gift ideas for hikers. While it’s not the most advanced you can find, it can certainly improve your navigation skills and it’s the most budget-friendly option on our list. It’ll make a fantastic gift for a child.
Best Budget Hiking Backpack: FENGDONG Lightweight Hiking Backpack
- Type: Hiking
- Size: 20.5 x 13 x 7.1 inches (52 x 33 x 18 cm)
- Weight: 1.9 pounds (861 g)
- Related feature: 40-liter (1,047 oz) storage capacity
- If you’re anything like me, you’ll experience gift anxiety when buying a backpack for a loved one because there are so many different styles out there. This unisex backpack covers all a hiker’s requirements because it is made of strong materials such as nylon, it has a zipper closure, plus it’s resistant to water.
- It’s got tear-resistant and anti-abrasion polyester fiber. Stress points along the backpack are reinforced with bar tracking to make it have an even longer lifespan.
- It has breathable mesh padding on the shoulder straps and bottom to keep it cool even during those hot, long hikes.
- It has a 40-liter storage space which means you can fill it with tons of stuff and it’s a multi-compartment design that includes two side pockets, a main zippered compartment, and one zipped front pocket means that your loved one will be able to stay organized.
- The zippers of the backpack have a tendency to get stuck.
- Some people who have purchased this backpack have reported that it seems to have less capacity than 40 liters (1,047 oz). That’s something to bear in mind. Only purchase this backpack for your loved one if they usually hike with less backpack capacity.
- Just because everything can go into your backpack, it doesn’t mean your backpack itself shouldn’t be easy and convenient to carry around. If space-saving is important to you, you’ll love that when empty this backpack folds into its own pocket so it can be stored very conveniently.
This functional and portable hiking backpack is a game-changer. Not just easy to organize your items when you take to the outdoors, it’s also built to last.
Best Hiking Backpack, Runner Up: Loowoko Hiking Backpack with Rain Cover
- Type: Hiking
- Size: 25.6 x 13.8 x 9.8 inches (65 x 35 x 24 cm)
- Weight: 2.6 pounds (1,179 g)
- Related feature: 50-liter (1,759 oz) storage capacity
- One of the best features of this hiking backpack is that it has eight adjustable straps. This means you can carry your gear in the way that feels most comfortable.
- It’s a 50-liter (1,759 oz) waterproof backpack so it’s perfect for serious hikers who like to make a day of the activity.
- For greater comfort when using it during a hike, this backpack has breathable mesh shoulder straps with padding to make the backpack much easier to lug around. As a bonus, it also has a breathable and elastic back support for increased ventilation.
- This isn’t the best backpack to use for walking or hiking long distances because of how it distributes weight across the shoulders instead of keeping it around one’s waist.
- The zipper pulls are a bit small, which makes them difficult to grab.
- It comes with a rain cover included. This is made out of polyester material that prevents water and moisture from getting into the pack and destroying your gear.
- If your loved one will be traveling with this backpack, it’s good to know that it meets airline size requirements.
This backpack is packed with tons of features to make hiking a more pleasurable and comfortable experience, which makes it one of the best Christmas gift ideas for hikers.
- keep your stuff organized with 8 straps
- Elastic breathable back support
- Capacity of 50L
Best Hiking Shirt, Winner: Legendary Whitetails Men’s Buck Camp Flannel Shirt
- Type: Flannel
- Weight: Medium weight
- Size: Small – 5XL
- Related feature: Double pleat design
- This shirt is made out of 100% cotton soft brushed flannel and it comes in 13 different styles and colors, such as solid colors and plaid patterns, so you’ll be able to find the perfect one for your loved one who loves hiking.
- It has a button closure so that you can open a few buttons when it gets hot or keep all the buttons closed when the temperature drops.
- The last thing you want when you’re climbing a mountain is to feel that your clothing is restricting you. This hiking shirt has a double pleat back design to encourage easier movement.
- It comes with a left chest pocket – this is perfect if you want to store small items, such as a pen or compass.
- Some people who’ve purchased it have reported it has the tendency to shrink. Based on that, it’s probably a good idea to purchase a larger size than what your friend wears.
Buying a hiking shirt for your loved one is a great idea because one always needs clothes that are comfortable and practical enough for outdoor activities. This is one of the best hiking shirts.
Best Hiking Shirt, Runner Up: BALEAF Women’s Long Sleeve Quick Dry Shirts
- Type: polyester
- Size: XS – 3XL
- Weight: Lightweight
- Related feature: Quick-dry fabric
- This shirt for women is made with 10 percent spandex and 90 percent polyester. This makes it strong and durable, so it’s perfect for a variety of activities, such as hiking, running, and working out at the gym.
- What makes it ideal for hiking and other outdoor activities is that it’s a quick-dry fabric. So, if you’re caught in a rainstorm you don’t have to feel uncomfortable.
- It’s designed with a longer back hem. This is ideal for giving you a bit more coverage, such as when you have to sit down on a rock to tie your hiking boots.
- The last thing you want is to feel uncomfortable when carrying gear because of the shirt you’re wearing, so you’ll love that this hiking shirt has a no-tag collar.
- Some people who have purchased this shirt have reported that the material is quite thin and can be see-through.
- It doesn’t perform very well when it comes to wicking away sweat.
- It’s a smart shirt that any hiking enthusiast will love because it comes with a reflective logo and reflective tapes so that you will be more visible even when the conditions are poor. As a bonus, it also comes in bold and bright colors so you’ll always be seen, such as red, aqua, and purple.
Everyone needs a good hiking and activity shirt, and this one has lots of features that make it a must-have. It’s light, breathable, and comes in stylish colors, so it’s one of the best gift ideas for hikers under $25.
Best Hiking Sunglasses, Winner: Oakley Holbrook OO9102 Sunglasses For Men And Women
- Type: Non-polarized
- Size: 55mm lens width
- Weight: 0.573 pounds (259 g)
- Related feature: Mirror coatings
- These sunglasses have plastic lenses which make them much lighter on your face, which means they’ll be comfortable during longer hikes.
- These sunglasses have non-polarized lenses which reduce the overall intensity of the UV light. This helps to protect your eyes when you are on a sunny hike or camping on the beach.
- They come with extra accessories, such as an accessory leash, microfiber cloth, mirror, screwdriver/keychain, and a Designer iWear 1-oz spray bottle. It’s the perfect cleaning and repair kit to keep your sunnies in excellent condition.
- Although they do offer protection for your eyes against the brightness, they aren’t very useful when it comes to eliminating sparkly or shimmery light, such as on water or snow. That’s something to bear in mind if your loved one hikes in snowy or wet conditions.
- Some people have reported that these sunglasses don’t come with a carry case, even though they should be supplied with one’s purchase.
- These sunglasses come in 18 stunning colors.
These best hiking sunglasses are backed by a reputable brand and have many top-class features, but if you’re looking for a pair of sunnies that offer even more protection, you’ll want to check out the next product in our list.
Best Hiking Sunglasses, Runner Up: Oakley Men’s Oo9416 Split Shot Sunglasses
- Type: Polarized
- Size: 64mm lens width
- Weight: 0.485 pounds (219 g)
- Related feature: UV protection coating
- These sunglasses contain polarized iridium lenses. This helps to reduce glare. But they’ve also got a UV protection coating. This not only blocks out UV light but ensures that 100% of all UV light will be eliminated: UVA, UVB, and UVC light.
- When you want to see the beautiful outdoor sights in better clarity, make sure you have these sunnies on hand: they make use of PRIZM lens technology that boosts color, detail, and contrast. Perfect for when you stop along a hike to take in the gorgeous mountain in front of you.
- These glasses have a stress-resistant frame which is not only durable but also light so it’s more comfortable to wear all day long.
- These sunglasses do not have replacement lens kits available.
- Some people who purchased this eyewear have reported that it arrived without the promised microbag to make storing the sunnies convenient and safe.
- You know how sometimes glasses can cause your nose to feel sore? These glasses prevent that by having nose pads installed. Not only do these make wearing the glasses more comfortable but the pads boost their grip, even if you’re sweating a lot during a hike.
While these Oakley’s sunnies price might seem steep, they’re a durable pair of sunglasses that every outdoor enthusiast will appreciate.
Best Gifts For Hikers FAQ
What is a good gift for a hiker?
This is one of the most important questions to ask yourself if you want to give the hiker in your life a gift he or she will absolutely love. It can be difficult to choose the right gifts, but try to put yourself in their shoes.
Whether you love or hate hiking, chances are you’ve tried it before so think about what items you wish you had packed that day to help you feel cooler or navigate your way better – or even just feel more comfortable.
Take a look at gifts that have unique features. For example, instead of buying a regular shirt, consider a shirt that’s breathable and well-ventilated, while also being soft to the touch (an example is the Baleaf women’s shirt we featured in our guide).
Doing this is sure to guarantee that your loved one will get a lot of use out of the gift while also having a smart and thoughtful present.
Is there a difference between hiking gifts for men and women?
While hiking gifts shouldn’t really be different for men or women, there are some items that will obviously be different. Clothing, for example, can sometimes be tailored specifically to men or women in terms of size.
Some other items, such as sunglasses, might also be designed specifically for men or women, although these can be worn by both sexes, such as if a man likes the style of a woman’s pair of sunnies or vice versa.
Unless the gifts are specifically meant for use by women or men, such as in the case of hygiene or skincare products, the truth is that many hiking gifts can be considered to be unisex! This also makes it easier to find suitable gifts.
How to know what a hiker has beforehand?
It can be difficult to know if your hiking friend or family member already has a GPS watch that they love or a compass that they don’t leave home without.
That’s why it’s sometimes best to ensure that you do a bit of homework beforehand, especially if you want to purchase a very expensive item and you’re not sure of your friend’s preferences.
It’s a good idea to try to chat to your loved one about their hiking hobby because they might slip up in conversation and say that they’re looking for a new watch or a new shirt that makes hiking more comfortable.
This will give you the perfect gift idea. You could also chat to some of your mutual friends for ideas in case they’ve heard something that your loved one really wants.
Gifts every hiker is going to be satisfied with
If you can’t get information out of your friend when it comes to the hiking items that are on their festive season wish-list, it’s worth considering the general rule that you should keep your hiking gifts as practical as possible.
Think about what every hiker will need. This can take the form of watches, compasses, shirts, backpacks, and even water bottles or first-aid kits.
The beauty about concentrating on gifting a hiker with a practical present is that they might not need it right now if they already have that item but they will definitely make use of it sooner or later.
Just think: they could lose their current compass or they could rip their shirt and need to buy a new one only to remember that you bought them a fantastic one.
It’s also important to bear in mind that you don’t need to spend a lot of money to make a hiker’s eyes light up with glee when they unwrap the present you got them. It’s clear to see from our buying guide that you can find lots of hiking-related gifts without breaking the bank.
Hiking is such a popular activity that you can find lots of hiking-related gifts for the special people in your life.
Whether it’s the top-notch Garmin GPS watch that helps to improve their navigation skills or the best Oakley sunnies that block out the glare so they can enjoy views of the beautiful mountain, we’ve got you covered in this buying guide of the 10 gift ideas for hikers that will make them crave adventure.