When you go camping you want to be able to sit around the campfire and relax with friends after a day of walking or hiking.
That’s why you need to purchase a camping chair, but it needs to be compact and foldable otherwise you’re going to battle to transport and carry it around – and, while you might be burning calories during your daily hikes, you don’t want to carry a chair around to feel like a sweat session at the gym.
What’s the best compact folding camp chair? The Coleman folding camp chair is one of the best you can find on the market because it’s easy to carry and very compact, while still having a spacious design.
If that sounds good to you, you’ll want to explore it in greater detail, which we’ll do below. We’ll also look at some more of the best grab-and-go folding camp chairs that you can add to your camping checklist and make your camping trip more comfortable than ever, depending on the features you want.
Ready? Pull up a chair and get comfortable as we start this buying guide!
- Coleman Folding Camp Outdoor Chair: Best Overall Winner
- ALPS Mountaineering Grand Rapids Chair/Stool: Runner Up
- Garne T Mini Portable Folding Stool: Alternative 1
- ALPS Mountaineering Low Rocker Chair: Smallest Rocking Folding Camp Chair
- Marvel Spiderman Figural Camp Chair for Kids: Smallest Folding Camp Chair For Kids
Best Overall Winner: Coleman Folding Camp Outdoor Chair
- Material: Powder-coated aluminum and tough polyester for durability
- Weight: 2 pounds (907 g)
- Size: 15.35 x 2.76 x 22.24 inches ( 38 x 7 x 55 cm)
- This is a light outdoor chair that you can use for a variety of activities, such as camping or sporting events because you can conveniently fold it up. It also only weighs two pounds so it’s easy to move around. I don’t know about you but I find that lugging chairs around can be frustrating, so this is an important feature to look for when camping.
- While this chair is small, it has a spacious seat that measures 15.5 inches (38 cm). Unlike some other folding camp chairs that have weight limits, this one can accommodate weight up to 225 pounds (102 kg). If you need even higher weight capacity in a folding camp chair, you should move on to the next product in our list of reviews.
- This camping chair is made of aluminum, which is both durable and light, and polyester which is strong enough to handle a variety of scuffs. Perfect for when you take the kiddos along!
- While this chair feels comfortable, its back rest leans a bit too far back, as some people who have purchased this chair have reported. This can make it lack support for your spine.
- Despite its drawbacks, the back of this chair is 17.5 inches (43 cm) in height. If you’ve ever sat on a camping chair that had a back that was too low, you’ll know how uncomfortable it can be.
This portable and foldable outdoor chair is versatile and easy to carry, which is exactly what you want when taking a chair to the great outdoors. It comes in an earthy tan color that will hide marks and stains, which makes it less maintenance for outdoor use.
- Powder-coated aluminum
- Up to 225 pounds (102 kg)
- Comfortable coat seat
Runner Up: ALPS Mountaineering Grand Rapids Chair
- Material: Powder-coated steel frame and tech-mesh fabric
- Weight: 5 pounds (453 g)
- Size: 19 x 19 x 31 inches (48 x 48 x 78 cm)
- Don’t be fooled by the size of this chair. While it looks really small, it packs a punch when it comes to its benefits and extra features. It’s made with a powder-coated steel frame that ensures stability during use and tech-mesh fabric that’s both breathable and comfortable.
- This ALPS folding camp chair comes in a brown color so it won’t reveal as much dirt or dust as lighter colors will. This makes it ideal for outdoor use, whether you’re camping in the garden at home or in the great outdoors.
- It has an angled back and extra-wide seat for more comfort. When I relax during a camping holiday, I want to feel that I can properly get comfortable in a chair while watching the sunset and drinking cocktails, and this chair offers support to enable me to do that. However, if you feel a stool would be more comfortable and compact, move on to the first alternative product in this list or reviews.
- Not only is this chair foldable so you can easily pack it in the car or in a large bag, but it comes with a shoulder bag. This is ideal for when you need to carry it to your campsite or back to the car for the trip back home. It will also keep the chair protected so that its lifespan can be increased.
- Since this chair has a three-legged design, some people have reported that it can become uncomfortable to sit in for long periods of time.
- Linked to the above, its triangular-shaped seat can feel uncomfortable for some people to use.
- This chair has a weight capacity of 375 pounds (170 kg), so while it’s light it’s durable and comfortable for people of many different sizes.
Compact, durable, and easy to carry around. What more could you want in a folding camp chair? This one won’t break your budget or your back! If you’re not sold on its brown color, you can purchase the chair in bright blue.
Alternative: GarneT Mini Portable Folding Stool
- Material: 600D Oxford fabric
- Weight: 1.5 pounds (680 g)
- Size: 12.52 x 5 x 5 inches (31 x 12 x 12 cm)
- Sometimes a stool just makes more sense to take with you when you go camping. This one in particular ticks all the right boxes because of how it’s really small and easy to carry around. It has an unfolded size of 10.2 x 9.8 inches (25 x 24 cm) and a folded size of 9.8 x 4.7 inches (25 x 11.93 cm), and you can fold it up within a few seconds.
- This is the best lightweight stool on the market because it only weighs 1.5 pounds (680 g). This means you can even store it in a backpack. It’s great for taking along with you on a hiking trip when you want to stop and take in the sights or have a snack.
- This folding camp chair is made out of nylon fabric and it has a high-strength coated steel pipe. This makes it strong enough for you to make it your go-to camping chair for all your outdoor adventures.
- One of the cons of this camping stool is that it sits quite low to the ground. However, that can be useful if you’re sitting on uneven ground as it will provide you with more stability.
- People who have purchased this stool have reported that it feels more suitable for a child because it’s so small. If you have kids, you should definitely purchase this stool.
- The chair comes with a pouch included, which is a fantastic extra feature that prevents you from having to purchase a specific bag for it.
This best lightweight folding camp chair is the perfect solution when you want a quick and easy seating solution, whether for adults or kids.
It’s also friendly to your pocket, so if you need a folding camp chair in a hurry this is one that’s worth considering. You could purchase a few without having to worry about where to store them because they’re so beautifully compact.
Smallest Rocking Folding Camp Chairs: ALPS Mountaineering Low Rocker Chair
- Material: Pro-tech powder-coated steel frame and tech-mesh fabric
- Size: 22 x 17 x 31 inches (55 x 43 x 78 cm)
- Weight: 11 pounds (4,989 g)
- This folding camp chair has a rocker design, which makes it comfortable and soothing. It’s especially great if you’re traveling with a baby because you can rock him or her to sleep, but it’s also the perfect chair for you to sit in and fall asleep in after a long day of hiking. The rocker locks into place so that you can lean back further in the chair.
- It is compact and foldable, and comes with a shoulder bag so you can store and transport it without a fuss.
- Its tech-mesh fabric helps to make the folding chair more comfortable, but this also has another benefit: it encourages greater airflow so you can stay cool. This is perfect for when you’re camping during the hot summer months.
- The steel frame of this chair gives it a long lifespan as well as stability so that it makes it more comfortable to sit in.
- People who have purchased this folding rocking camp chair have reported that it’s a bit difficult to fold up.
- Others have stated that it’s a bit difficult to get in and out of, especially if you’re very tall.
- You’ll love how this foldable chair comes with padded armrests. This makes it much more comfortable to sit in for long periods of time. Perfect for long starry nights around the campfire!
This folding camp rocking chair goes the extra mile, offering you lots of extra features that will make using it even more comfortable than what you’ve experienced with other camping chairs, such as its rocking motion and padded features.
It feels like a luxurious chair because of how comfortable and breathable it is. It also looks good as it comes in a stylish blue, black, and grey design.
Smallest Folding Camp Chair For Kids: Marvel Spiderman Figural Camp Chair for Kids
- Material: metal frame and poly canvas fabric
- Size: 18.5 x 18.5 x 30.5 inches (47 x 47 x 76 cm)
- Weight: 2.84 pounds (1,288 g)
- Taking your kids on a camping adventure can be an adventure in itself! This colorful Spiderman-inspired folding camp chair is sure to be a hit with the kids because it’s so bright with its red and blue design. It will encourage them to relax at the end of a busy day.
- While it’s colorful and fun for them to sit in, it’ll offer you peace of mind because this chair has been constructed with a metal frame that has a safety locking mechanism on its legs to keep your kid safe when he or she is using it. The locking mechanism basically prevents the chair from folding in on itself when your little one is sitting on it.
- This kids’ folding camp chair has a seat made out of poly canvas that’s sure to last, especially with kids who are a bit rough with it.
- The chair comes with a portable carry case so your kids will be able to carry it around themselves. This also keeps the chair in good condition and increases its lifespan.
- Although the chair has a weight capacity of 81 pounds, this camping chair is quite small, so it’s ideal for kids who are around two to four years old. If you have older kids this chair might not be suitable for them.
- This chair has been designed with a high back as well as high arms. This makes it more supportive and comfortable.
This chair is perfect for the child in your life who is the age of three or a bit older and it makes the perfect gift if they’re a Spiderman fan. If your kid’s not into Spiderman, there’s a range of other chairs, such as Thomas and Friends, and JoJo Siwa.
Smallest Folding Camp Chair FAQ
Now that we’ve looked at the smallest folding camp chairs for adults and kids, you have a better idea of the type of chair you should purchase for your next camping trip.
But you might still have some questions about camping chairs, so with that in mind, let’s check out some common FAQs.
What is the lightest camping chair?
You can find camping chairs on the market that are really lightweight – some of them weigh around two pounds, but you can find ones that are even lighter than that.
The GarneT Mini Portable Folding Stool on our list of reviews only weighs 1.5 pounds! This makes it the easiest to carry around when you’re on a camping trip, and your kids will be able to carry it with ease, which makes it more convenient for the whole family.
Can the folding mechanism break?
If the folding mechanism of your camping chair becomes damaged, it can certainly cause your chair to fold in on itself. A common reason why this could happen is as a result of too much weight being put on the chair.
This is why you’ll find that camping chairs come with a weight limit, such as 226 pounds or 375 pounds. Sticking to this weight limit is important to ensure the chair doesn’t fail you.
You can also ensure that you prevent the chair from breaking by choosing camp chairs that are made out of strong and durable materials and fabrics. But, to learn about this in more detail, let’s move on to the next question!
How do I choose a camping chair?
To ensure that you buy a good-quality camping chair that makes your camping trips even more enjoyable, make sure it has the following important features:
- It’s built to be durable. A camping chair should be made with durable materials, not just when it comes to its frame but also its fabric so that it resists wear and tear. You want to be able to easily fold it up and transport it, and sit on it for many hours at a time without it wearing away. Some good material choices for camping chairs include steel for the frame and polyester and nylon for the fabric.
- It suits the terrain you’re on. Are you going to be sitting on the sand while beach camping or rocky terrain? It’s important to choose a camp chair according to the ground you’re going to be using it on during your camping trip. So, a low camping chair is useful if you’re sitting on uneven ground, such as beach sand, because it will have more stability, while a rocker will require even, flat ground otherwise it can tip over.
- It should be portable. You should choose a camping chair that’s not only easy to fold up but that you can easily throw into the back of your car or even your backpack as this makes it much easier to travel with and carry around camp. Therefore it should be compact and small.
- It has comfortable extra features. For the chair to be comfortable, it should have features such as breathable fabric panels. The tech-mesh fabric also enables the chair to be breathable so it’s good to look out for, especially when you’re going to be camping in the hot summer. Other comfort-enhancing features include padded armrests and a rocker design. Chairs that have a side table can be useful for dinners around the campfire
How to repair a torn camping chair?
Things can happen even when you’re super-careful with your gear. If your camping chair has become torn, don’t worry – you can fix it. Here’s what you need to do.
- Get some strong material, such as an old sheet or denim from a pair of shorts you no longer wear, as you’ll be using this to patch up the tear in your camping chair. You might want to find material in a color that’s as close of a match to the original chair’s material as possible.
- Measure the hole in the chair you wish to repair and make sure you have enough material to cover it. You will then have to sew the material onto the camping chair’s material so that it can cover up the hole nicely.
- If the hole is quite big or you want to ensure that the chair looks uniform, you can reupholster the chair. Let’s Camp S’more has a great tutorial you should check out for information about this so that your chair will look brand new.
You can’t go camping without some important essentials, such as the best smallest folding camp chairs.
They will help you to relax, and if you choose the best one on the market it will have many other features on offer, such as being portable and easy to carry.
The Coleman folding chair that made the number-one spot on our list of reviews gives you everything you need in a small folding camp chair: it’s not only so small you can throw it in your backpack with ease, but it also has a high weight capacity and it’s made of light yet strong material.
However, if you’re looking for something different, we’ve outlined four alternatives so you can find the best one for your next camping trip in the great outdoors – think comfortable and compact!